I’m a self-proclaimed kitchen gadget/appliance addict. And I’ve got the overflowing cupboards and diminishing counter space to prove it! My latest prized possession is The Inspiralizer, also know as a miracle gadget for anybody who’s trying to eat healthy and watch their carb intake. This here contraption will turn virtually any veggie into glorious noodles! Zucchini seems to be the best pasta swap out there, but I’ve seen recipes using butternut squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, daikon, carrots, beets, etc. The ingredient combinations and flavor profiles are endless.
For this dish, I decided to stick with the old-faithful zucchini. It’s firm enough to create perfectly-shaped noodles, yet when cooked, they become tender, closely mimicking the texture of real pasta. Since we’re on this Clean Eating Adventure and a jar of Prego just isn’t in the cards right now, I was stumped on a sauce to make. My thoughts turned to the marinara I made for these Veggie Spaghetti and Meatballs (p.s. even the meatballs are made of veggies!), but I decided to switch it up and create a unique take on the traditional pesto. I combined kale, almonds, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processor to create a vibrant pesto blend. It’s tangy and creamy enough to make you feel like you’re indulging in the most sinful, heavy-cream-filled, pasta dish. Toss this pesto together with the spiralized zucchini and grape tomatoes, and you’ve got one hearty main dish.
Now, if you don’t have a spiralizer, no need to worry! You have some options:
- Use a mandolin to create noodle-like strands
- Slice the zucchini into long, thin strips
- Finely chop the zucchini (you lose the pasta swap, but the flavor’s still there.)
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 cups kale, packed
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup oil olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium zucchini, spiralized
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups grape tomatoes
- Make the pesto: Add the almonds, kale, garlic, and Italian seasoning to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add in the olive oil and lemon juice and process until incorporated. Give the pesto a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Saute the veggies: Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened. Sprinkle mixture with salt. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add in the tomatoes cook until they're beginning to blister. Mix in the zucchini noodles, and stir until incorporated.
- Serve: Add noodle mixture to a bowl. Spoon pesto over the noodles and enjoy.
This post contains affiliate links for The Inspiralizer.
Interested in more Clean Eating Adventure recipes? Check these out:
- Tuscan White Bean Spinach and Quinoa Stuffed Red Peppers
- Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Roasted 8 Vegetable Soup
- Tropical Island Green Smoothie
- Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato, and Lentil Sauté
- Banana Hazelnut Breakfast Quinoa
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread
- Cashew Nacho Cheese
- Loaded Kale Nachos
Leave a Reply