This Tropical Island Green Smoothie, if only for 30 minutes, helps me forget that I live in the most ridiculously cold state in the US. Now that the holidays have passed, the winter blues are setting in. I shudder at the thought of another (possibly) 3 months of this nonsense. Although, I must say that today’s temps in the 30s were a welcome relief. It’s supposed to get up to 40 tomorrow! Despite this “heat wave”, I’m still dreaming of a balmy, tropical climate with palm trees, white sand beaches, crystal clear waters, and a fruity beverage to top it off.
Since the fruity beverage is the only part of this dream that I can actually make happen, I decided a smoothie would do the trick. I threw a bunch of frozen fruit into my Nutribullet and added the following:
- coconut milk: it gives the smoothie that authentic tropical flavor. I used Silk brand Coconut milk that comes in a carton. It’s thick, creamy, and only 45 calories per serving!
- spinach: for a boost of vitamins. I promise you can’t taste it!
- lime juice: for some acidity. It pairs well with the coconut and gives the smoothie a refreshing, tangy kick.
Adapt this smoothie based on the ingredients you have on hand! Just make sure you use frozen fruit; It will give the smoothie a thick and smooth consistency that you just can’t get from ice cubes. Enjoy this as a filling breakfast, snack, or dessert. And to enhance the flavor even more, it’s best consumed with your eyes closed while imagining yourself on a beach in 80 degree weather.
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen mango (heaping)
- ½ cup pineapple (heaping)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used Silk brand)
- 1 cup of spinach, packed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency. Pour smoothie mixture into 2 glasses.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 206 Fat: 5.1g Carb: 41g Fiber: 6.3g Protein: 2.5g Sugar 26.1g Sodium: 55mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 5 Points Plus
Interested in more Clean Eating Adventure recipes? Check these out:
- Tuscan White Bean Spinach and Quinoa Stuffed Red Peppers
- Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Roasted 8 Vegetable Soup
- Zucchini Noodles with Kale Almond Pesto
- Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato, and Lentil Sauté
- Banana Hazelnut Breakfast Quinoa
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread
- Cashew Nacho Cheese
- Loaded Kale Nachos