Buffalo Chicken. The words that make my husband’s ears perk up. Doesn’t matter if it’s straight up wings, a salad, sandwich, chili, poppers, or nuggets. He loves it all. So it comes as no surprise that he devoured these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats.
Last year, when I made these Mini Artichoke Dip Zucchini Boats, I found that zucchini is really the perfect little vessel for stuffing any type of meat, cheese, or dip into. Plus, it’s a great healthy alternative to pita chips (my weakness!), bread, or crackers. With everything portioned out, it eliminates the temptation to keep snacking or dipping.
Another bonus? This recipe is quick and easy! First, add hot sauce to some shredded chicken breast. I used the slow cooker, but for a quicker turnaround, you could poach, roast, or sauté the chicken or even grab a roasted chicken from the deli.
Then, hollow out those zucchini halves using a spoon, and fill them with the chicken. Sprinkle some blue cheese over the top and pop them in the oven until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is softened. Put your finishing touches on the boats with another sprinkle of cheese and finely chopped celery for a nice crunch. And then, drizzle on that ranch dressing. I’m a ranch girl all the way, but I won’t judge if you’re team blue cheese!
If you want to enjoy your buffalo chicken in a healthy new way this weekend, give these zucchini boats a try!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth (if using the slow cooker)
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 6 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise*
- ⅔ cup blue cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour in the chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for up to 8 hours. Alternatively, you can roast or poach the chicken. When cooking is complete, shred the chicken. In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken and hot sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a spoon, hollow out each zucchini half and fill with about ¼ cup of shredded chicken. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of blue cheese over each zucchini boat. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of chopped celery over the zucchini boats and if desired, drizzle ranch or blue cheese dressing over the top.