As I type up this post, I’m enjoying the fact that I finally have a moment to myself after a long week of work, shuttling the kids to and from school, finishing breakfast, baths, and dinner in record time so we’re not late to dance class, karate, swimming, or tumbling. Weeks like this call for quick and easy dinners, which is why Spiralized Zucchini Lasagna Casserole definitely fits the bill.
This casserole is one of those classic, no fuss, throw-it-all-in-the dish type dinners. It’s also low carb and lightened up thanks to the spiralized zucchini. You won’t even miss the noodles. I promise! And the best part is that you probably have most, if not all of the ingredients already in your fridge and pantry. And if you don’t, the ingredients are basic enough to make it a quick grocery run. Here are the ingredients you need:
- Marinara sauce (We all have a favorite brand and flavor. Use it in this dish!)
- Ground turkey or beef (Or any ground meat will do)
- Mushrooms (Completely optional. I enjoyed the extra meaty texture they added)
- Zucchini (or yellow summer squash or both)
- Ricotta cheese (Cottage cheese works too)
- Mozzarella cheese (or any type of shredded white Italian cheese like provolone)
Substitutions are totally welcome in this dish! Don’t like ground turkey? Use ground beef or leave out the meat to make it vegetarian. Don’t like mushrooms? Leave them out or add in chopped bell pepper. Use cottage cheese or mascarpone instead of ricotta.
To prep, you’ll brown the turkey, spiralize the zucchini (Blade D on The Inspiralizer), and then take the zucchini noodles and mushrooms for a quick sauté in the pan to release some of the excess moisture. This extra step is really important otherwise the casserole tends to get a little watery. Once everything’s prepped, start layering: sauce, turkey, mushrooms, zucchini noodles and ricotta. Repeat the layers 2 times and top with the remaining sauce and bake until bubbling hot. Then, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella over the top to add that gooey melted cheese finish.
Quick, easy, and healthy is the name of the game with this recipe. But it’s also full of pure Italian comfort food flavor. Take the stress out of dinner and put this Spiraled Zucchini Lasagna Casserole on your menu for the week.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 zucchini
- 1 jar marinara sauce (24 oz)
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown the turkey: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add in the turkey and seasonings and cook until turkey is browned.
- Precook the veggies: Spiralize the zucchini. I used blade D on my Inspiralizer. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the zucchini, tossing occasionally, for a few minutes until softened. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Pat the veggies down with more paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. Repeat this process for the mushrooms.
- Assemble: Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer ingredients as follows: 1/2 cup marinara sauce, a portion of ground turkey and mushrooms, a pile of zucchini noodles, and 1/3 cup ricotta cheese. Continue layering two more times with the remaining portions. Top with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Bake: Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over the top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Note: This post contains an affiliate link, which means that if you make a purchase via the link, I’ll receive a small commission. Thanks so much for your support!