It’s time to put this Quick and Easy Apple Butter to good use! This here Brussels sprout, Bacon, and Gruyere Quesadilla with Apple Butter is my crazy, savory/sweet/salty, grown-up, and healthy version of the standard grilled cheese sandwich. Because sometimes you just feel like going above and beyond Wonder bread and Kraft American cheese. Confession: this recipe originally called for actual bread until I realized we didn’t have any. Lots of these little mishaps going on lately. Apparently, I need a kitchen assistant (preferably one who’s not a toddler)!
I love the combination of Brussels sprouts, bacon, and shredded cheese. So why not just make it into a
sandwich quesadilla, right? These shredded Brussels sprouts are spiked with tangy Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Combine them with ooey gooey melted gruyere and salty-crispy bacon, and you’ve got one heck of a quesadilla. But the APPLE BUTTER is of the utmost importance in this recipe. The apple cinnamon-y sweetness factor will turn this already incredible quesadilla into, hands-down, the best thing that you will eat all week (unless Valentine’s Day falls in that week, and you’re going out for dinner to a fancy restaurant). Then this might come in second, but it will be close for sure.
Let’s talk about leftovers. Contrary to what you might imagine, these quesadillas make awesome leftovers. I took them to work for lunch twice. I ate them straight out of the fridge the first day, and they were surprisingly amazing in a cold-pizza-for-breakfast sort of way. The next day, I reheated them and the texture and flavors were still perfect. And, of course I remembered to pack my mini Tupperware container of apple butter so I could dip to my heart’s content.
Want another dipping option? Take these quesadillas for a dive into this Tomato, Fennel, and White Bean Soup for a completely unconventional take on the famous tomato soup and grilled cheese combo.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 low carb whole wheat wraps (I used Lawash brand low carb whole wheat wraps)
- 2 oz gruyere cheese
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1⅓ cups apple butter (divided into ⅓ cup portions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté galic and onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts to the pan and stir to combine. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Cook for another minute.
- Give the mixture a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Take the mixture off the heat and set aside.
- Lay 4 wraps on the counter.
- On one half of each wrap, layer ½ oz of gruyere cheese, 1 slice’s worth of bacon pieces, and ¼ of the brussels sprouts mixture.
- On the other half of each wrap, spread about 1 tbs of apple butter.
- Fold the wrap in half.
- Place the quesadillas on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges are slightly crispy.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 triangles. Serve with a side of the remaining apple butter.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 276 Fat: 12.1g Carb: 34.2g Fiber: 8.3g Protein: 3.3g Sugar 22g Sodium: 582mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 5 Points Plus
Soup and Sandwich Recipes: