It’s time to put this Quick and Easy Apple Butter to good use! This here Brussels sprout, Bacon, and Gruyere Quesadilla with Apple Butter is my crazy, savory/sweet/salty, grown-up, and healthy version of the standard grilled cheese sandwich. Because sometimes you just feel like going above and beyond Wonder bread and Kraft American cheese. Confession: this recipe originally called for actual bread until I realized we didn’t have any. Lots of these little mishaps going on lately. Apparently, I need a kitchen assistant (preferably one who’s not a toddler)!
I love the combination of Brussels sprouts, bacon, and shredded cheese. So why not just make it into a
sandwich quesadilla, right? These shredded Brussels sprouts are spiked with tangy Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Combine them with ooey gooey melted gruyere and salty-crispy bacon, and you’ve got one heck of a quesadilla. But the APPLE BUTTER is of the utmost importance in this recipe. The apple cinnamon-y sweetness factor will turn this already incredible quesadilla into, hands-down, the best thing that you will eat all week (unless Valentine’s Day falls in that week, and you’re going out for dinner to a fancy restaurant). Then this might come in second, but it will be close for sure.
Let’s talk about leftovers. Contrary to what you might imagine, these quesadillas make awesome leftovers. I took them to work for lunch twice. I ate them straight out of the fridge the first day, and they were surprisingly amazing in a cold-pizza-for-breakfast sort of way. The next day, I reheated them and the texture and flavors were still perfect. And, of course I remembered to pack my mini Tupperware container of apple butter so I could dip to my heart’s content.
Want another dipping option? Take these quesadillas for a dive into this Tomato, Fennel, and White Bean Soup for a completely unconventional take on the famous tomato soup and grilled cheese combo.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 low carb whole wheat wraps (I used Lawash brand low carb whole wheat wraps)
- 2 oz gruyere cheese
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1⅓ cups apple butter (divided into ⅓ cup portions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté galic and onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts to the pan and stir to combine. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Cook for another minute.
- Give the mixture a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Take the mixture off the heat and set aside.
- Lay 4 wraps on the counter.
- On one half of each wrap, layer ½ oz of gruyere cheese, 1 slice’s worth of bacon pieces, and ¼ of the brussels sprouts mixture.
- On the other half of each wrap, spread about 1 tbs of apple butter.
- Fold the wrap in half.
- Place the quesadillas on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges are slightly crispy.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 triangles. Serve with a side of the remaining apple butter.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 276 Fat: 12.1g Carb: 34.2g Fiber: 8.3g Protein: 3.3g Sugar 22g Sodium: 582mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 5 Points Plus
Soup and Sandwich Recipes:
Tomato, Fennel, and White Bean Soup
Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup
Steamed Shrimp Po Boys with Cajun Vegetable Quinoa
Pulled Pork, Roasted Pear, and Gorgonzola Paninis
Chipotle Chicken, Butternut Squash, and Wild Rice Soup
Asparagus, Mushroom, and Swiss Flatbread Melts
Leave a Reply