I absolutely adore bread pudding. If I’m at a restaurant and bread pudding’s on the dessert menu, it’s always bread pudding for the win. Call me crazy for passing up the molten chocolate lava whatever, but there’s something extra special about bread pudding that sends my taste buds to heaven. I think it’s the layers of flavor and textures that combine into one warm and luscious dessert.
If you’ve never had bread pudding before, this Caramel Apple Butterscotch version might have you hooked forever. Honestly, it’s even better than any bread pudding I’ve ordered at a restaurant. My husband and I have eaten this for dessert for 3 nights straight. And without fail, upon first bite, the response is always an eyes-closed-mouth-full “ohmygod.”
So why is this Caramel Apple Butterscotch Bread Pudding so mind-blowingly amazing? Well, like I said, it’s all about the flavors and textures. We’ve got:
1. Sweet apples dusted with cinnamon and sugar
2. Melted butterscotch morsels
3. Vanilla almond milk sweetened with brown sugar
4. A bottom layer of soft, moist bread that has absorbed all the above
5. A top layer of sweet, toasted, crusty bread
6. Plenty of caramel drizzle over the top and
7. A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream (totally optional, but how could you not?!)
Here’s the other lovely feature: this dessert comes together quickly! Chop up your apples and bread.
Melt the butter and sugar into the creamy vanilla almond milk. Pour that awesomeness over the bread.
Add the apples, egg whites and butterscotch chips to the party. And then pop it into the oven. Cooking time is 30 minutes, which gives you more than enough time to make the easy caramel sauce. Wondering how to plate this dessert? See below:
Do: Serve this warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzled over the top.
Don’t: even act like this isn’t the best dessert you’ve had in a long time.
- 10 pieces light wheat bread, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I used Almond Breeze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- ⅓ cup egg whites
- 1 tablespoon butterscotch chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Heat oven to 350. Add the bread cubes to a large mixing bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine chopped apples, cinnamon, and sugar. Set aside.
- Over low heat, melt butter and brown sugar in a small sauce pan, stirring to combine. Once melted, add the almond milk and vanilla and stir. Then, pour mixture over the bread cubes and stir with a large spoon to evenly coat/soak each piece of bread.
- Add the egg whites, apples, and butterscotch chips to the bread mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the dish, spreading it out evenly. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the bread pudding to bake, prepare the caramel sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. When it starts to bubble, turn heat to medium-low, cooking until the mixture turns a caramel color (about 15 minutes). Take off heat and stir in a ¼ cup almond milk. When bread pudding is ready, pour sauce evenly over bread pudding. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 148 Fat: 3.5g Carb: 29.7 g Fiber: 4.3g Protein: 3.6g Sugar 18.4g Sodium: 215mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 5 Points Plus
Leave a Reply