Who’s gearing up for the long weekend? I’ve got Friday on my mind already, but this Memorial Day will be a bit different for me. Instead of enjoying that quintessential spread of food by the lake with a beer in hand while oldies play in the background, I’ll be helping my friend prepare for a big move, attending my 3-year-old daughter’s first dance recital, and then hightailing it to Chicago for a friend’s wedding.
As I sit here in my quiet house, sipping my coffee, and eyeing an incredibly large pile of laundry that needs to be sorted and packed in T minus 4 days, I’m attempting to enjoy the calm before the storm and enjoy Memorial Day as I know it a little bit early. Good thing I have the makings for these BBQ Chicken Coleslaw Bowls in the fridge because I fully intend to nosh on this bowl of summer yummies out on the deck this afternoon while listening to the Now & Then soundtrack, of course. Why Now & Then? Because it’s the chick flick that defined my pre-teen years with a damn good soundtrack to boot. If you’re a millenial like me who grew up listening to music from your parents’ era, I know you can relate to this Now & Then obsession. Seriously though, summer BBQ food, sunshine, and Stevie Wonder. My afternoon’s shaping up to be a good one!
As if I haven’t stressed the summery-ness of this dish enough, these bowls combine all your fave summer BBQ foods: BBQ chicken, coleslaw, zesty pickles, and avocado slices. I took the concept of the classic BBQ chicken sandwich w/ coleslaw and nixed the bun.
For the chicken, if your grill happens to be out of gas and you don’t know a thing about rectifying that type of situation, you can bust out a sauté pan and cook it on the stove. But, really, it’s BBQ chicken, so get your grill on if you can!
For the coleslaw, I added a heaping cup of this Bacon, Cranberry, Kale Coleslaw. The sweet/salty/savory flavors of the slaw pair so well with the chicken and avocado. If you’re more of a traditionalist, feel free to stick to regular coleslaw.
For the extra toppings, I chose pickles for some extra tangy flavor. And the sliced avocado was my last minute add-in, which ended up giving the bowls a wonderful creamy component. Once everything is assembled, pour a few extra drops of BBQ over the top and mix everything together. It should look something like this…
Now you know what to do with the leftover BBQ chicken and coleslaw come Tuesday! Or better yet, be like me and get the weekend started early with this easy, healthy summer-in-a-bowl recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon BBQ dry rub seasoning (Optional. I used Penzey’s 33rd & Galena blend)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 4 cups Bacon Cranberry Kale Coleslaw
- ½ cup sliced pickles (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add the chicken breasts. Brown on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and toss the chicken in the sauce, ensuring all sides are coated. Cover the pan and cook the chicken for another 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes then slice into strips.
- Transfer 1 cup of cole slaw each of the 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with a sliced chicken breast and 5-6 pickle chips and avocado slices if desired.
Calories: 283.4 Fat: 6.2g Carb: 21g Fiber: 2.1g Protein: 33g Sugar 15.5g Sodium: 1028.4mg