I totally totally dissed cole slaw the other day and here I am posting a recipe for slaw. However, let me clarify that I love a good cole slaw, but I do not love cabbage and carrots doused in mayo-based dressing. Blegh. But no need to worry about that with this slaw. Sesame oil, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, and freshly-squeezed orange juice make up the dressing. And I winterized the dish by sautéing the cabbage with some onion, garlic, and red bell pepper and serving it warm. To add a little protein and make the dish a meal, I topped it with the easiest teriyaki chicken you will ever make.
While at Trader Joe’s the other day, perusing the aisles of unique sauces and extremely addicting snacks, I came across this Soyaki sauce/marinade and immediately had a craving for teriyaki chicken. When I got home, I busted out my slow cooker, plopped in some chicken breasts, and poured in the sauce. In a few hours, I had perfectly seasoned and juicy pulled chicken ready to be mixed with the warm Asian slaw.
This dish comes together so easily. If you want to skip the sautéing altogether, this dish would taste just as amazing. But I just had to serve it warm since the weather is so darn cold these days.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup teriyaki marinade (I used Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger
- Juice of 1 orange
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lb bag of shredded cabbage
- Chopped green onion
- Extra teriyaki marinade
- Chopped cashews
- Cook the chicken: Place the chicken breasts and teriyaki marinade in a slow cooker. Cook chicken for 4 hours on high or up to 8 hours on low. Transfer chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Transfer the chicken back to the slow cooker and mix with the remaining marinade.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together all ingredients or mix in a blender or food processor (I use my Nutribullet). Mix until dressing reaches a smooth consistency.
- Make the Slaw: Heat sesame oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper and cabbage. Sauté mixture for 3-4 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
- Serve shredded chicken on a bed of the warm slaw. Top with the dressing. Sprinkle with optional toppings.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 263 Fat: 5.3g Carb: 21.7g Fiber: 3.8g Protein: 28.8g Sugar 17.8g Sodium: 1489mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 6 Points Plus
This wraps up our little cabbage destination! Be sure to check out the posts for the Southwest Quinoa Cabbage Rolls and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan, Bacon, and a Drippy Egg and give ‘em a try!
I’m cooking up an extremely healthy, and totally tasty 2-week theme. Stay tuned! It will be good, clean (hint, hint) fun!