Are the days of plain toasted Wonder Bread with a pat of butter long gone? Lately, it seems as though every other post on my Facebook feed is a picture of some kind of avocado, fruit-topped, or sweet potato toast. But then again, I do subscribe to a lot of food blogs and food websites on Facebook. You must have noticed this toast trend though! I’m totally not knocking it. I’m actually quite intrigued, especially with this sweet potato toast phenomenon. You can bet I’ll be snapping all about it (Snapchat username: dstndelish) when I get around to trying it.
But for now, I’ve settled into a nice little breakfast toast routine that’s trendy enough to fit in with the cool toast crowd while also honoring my need for something sweet at breakfast time. I’m a huge fan of large baskets of assorted muffins, scones, and pastries, but I don’t always enjoy the food coma they put me in, so…
This Strawberry, Peach, and Almond Butter Toast is my latest breakfast obsession. It offers a multitude of textures from the crispy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside toast, creamy almond butter, tender fruit, and crunchy coconut and chopped almond topping. The fruit drizzled with a bit of honey creates the perfect amount of sweetness without being overpowering or food coma-inducing.
Let’s break down the toast components:
- Your favorite toasting bread + melted coconut oil (I used whole wheat Italian bread from Trader Joe’s)
- Your favorite nut or seed butter (I’m having a moment with Trader Joe’s. I used their crunchy unsalted almond butter.)
- Sliced ripe strawberries and peaches
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Chopped toasted almonds
The coconut oil gives this toast a hint of tropical flavor that jives so well with the fruit. No coconut oil? Plain old butter is A-okay. To toast the bread, feel free to use a toaster for convenience. But, as the recipe below instructs, I’d recommend spreading on the oil or butter first, then toasting the bread in the oven. This ensures your toast will be perfectly crisp and evenly browned.
Once the toast is out of the oven, spread on the almond butter and top with the fruit. Finish it off with a sprinkle of coconut flakes and chopped almonds and a drizzle of honey for a hint of extra sweetness.
Give the old bread and butter breakfast staple a much-needed upgrade with this Strawberry Peach Almond Butter Toast! Pair it with a helping of scrambled eggs for a wholesome and satisfying meal to start your day.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- ¾ cup thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 peach, cut into thin slices
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup chopped almonds (or nut of choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Toast the bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the bread slices on a lined baking sheet. Brush each slice with coconut oil. Toast the bread in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Top the toast: Spread an equal amount of almond butter over each piece of toast. Top each toast with an equal amount of strawberry and peach slices. Drizzle honey over the top of each toast and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Garnish each toast with a sprig of fresh thyme.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 271.6 Fat: 18.1g Carb: 24.6g Fiber: 5.7g Protein: 7.4g Sugar 9.3g Sodium: 138.4mg
Liz @ tHe Clean Eating Couple says
Oooh this looks so yummy! Strawberry and almond butter is one of my favorite combos, I bet this is delicious with the peaches!
Thanks so much Liz! I’m beginning to realize that I can’t be trusted around almond butter! It’s so good!