Well hello there! It’s been a while, hasn’t it… Last time I posted, cozy soups, back-to-school lunches, and pumpkin spice everything weren’t even on our radar. Fast forward through a sudden laptop death via iced coffee, starting a new job, and sending my son off to kindergarten (**sobs**) and boom, it’s fall!
The quintessential fall weather that us Minnesotans all know and love officially hit the Twin Cities today. It’s the kind of weather where you wake up to a chilly breeze streaming through your bedroom window and get all excited to throw on your new tunic sweater and leggings, brew a pot of hot coffee, and decide what kind of hearty meal you’ll plan for dinner.
If you’re like me, and you’ve got quick and easy fall meals on your mind, perhaps this healthy, sweet and savory dish with a dash of coconut curry flair will be your next weeknight wonder! The recipe consists of 2 components:
- Baked sweet potatoes: Scrub them up and bake them for about 45 minutes. Slice down the middle to create a well for the curry deliciousness coming its way.
- Curry lentils: While the potatoes are baking, cook up some lentils, sauté onions and garlic, add curry powder, and combine. Toss together with a splash of vinegar and honey.
Depending on the size of your potatoes, these Curry Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes can be a side dish to serve alongside a main course meat or protein. But they’re also hearty and filling enough to be a main meal in itself!
When it’s time to dig in, I like to approach this meal Thanksgiving-mashed-potatoes style. Much like peas and/or corn with your Thanksgiving mashers, make sure you really smash up the sweet potato flesh and thoroughly mix in those lentils so you get the full sweet-savory-curry flavor effect in each bite.
Thanks so much for standing for by during my unplanned hiatus! And welcome to any new readers that subscribed during the break. I’ve got plenty more fall recipes coming your way very soon!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (rice or white work too)
- 1½ tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
- Bake the sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pierce the potatoes with a fork and place in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or longer. Make sure the potatoes are very tender.
- Prepare the lentils: While the potatoes are baking, add the lentils and water to a pot over the stove. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Drain the lentils.
- Sauté the onions: While the lentils are cooking, sauté the onions. Heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until slightly browned and tender. Add in the garlic and curry powder and cook for a couple more minutes. Add the lentils to the pan and stir to combine.
- Assemble the dish: Whisk together the vinegar, honey, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Pour over the lentil mixture and stir until combined. Cut a slit down each sweet potato, spread apart each side, and mash down slightly with a fork to create a well for the lentils. Drop an equal amount of the lentil mixture into each potato. Sprinkle cilantro and toasted coconut over the top.
Leave a Reply