Have you ever had an unforgettable meal out at a restaurant? I’ve had a few, and they always seem to share the same characteristics. The meal starts with an assortment of appetizers to share, perhaps a salad, and a bread basket, all of which are amazing. And in the midst of stuffing my face with these goodies, the main entrée arrives. And that main entrée perfectly complements everything I’ve eaten so far. I can dip an appetizer in the sauce of the main dish, and spread some main dish on the bread from the bread basket. And all this is happening in the presence of amazing company. I leave the restaurant uncomfortably full, but completely happy.
This crock pot cranberry chicken curry reminds me of an unforgettable meal I shared with my mom about 4 years ago. For my birthday, she treated me to an afternoon on the town to see the Broadway show Wicked and then we grabbed a bite to eat afterwards. What made this afternoon extra special was the fact that I had a newborn baby at home and it was the first time in almost 3 months that I’d left the house without him. Of course I was a ball of emotions, but it turns out a fabulous show and an unforgettable meal was just what I needed. Thank you mom for such a heartwarming and thoughtful birthday present!
We shared our unforgettable meal at a hip Asian Fusion restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, feasting on endless carts of dim sum and just when we thought the meal couldn’t get any better, the main entrée came out…and it happened to be…yes, you guessed it. Cranberry Chicken Curry. It’s such an innovative dish. Rich and velvety curry chicken with a punch of cranberry in every bite. Ever since I started this blog, this dish has been on my must-recreate-now list.
Throw this together in the crock pot before you leave for work. All day, the chicken will simmer in spices, broth, and coconut milk. And you’ll arrive home to the vibrant and comforting aroma of curry. Try to stop yourself from grabbing a fork right away and nabbing a small bite of the perfectly tender and juicy chicken.
Saute your veggies and cranberries with even more spices and combine everything with the chicken. Finish the dish off by stirring in a scoop of greek yogurt to give it a creamy texture. Serve with a side of roasted veggies or your favorite starch. I made basmati rice, but I bet this dish would be amazing over quinoa too!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 26 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs curry powder
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- dash salt and pepper
- 2 tsp agave
- ⅓ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Prepare the chicken: In large crock pot, combine the coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, garam masala, salt and pepper. Then, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the crock pot. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Prepare the veggies: While chicken is cooking, prepare the veggies. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until vegetables have softened. Stir in the curry powder and dried cranberries. Cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Assemble the dish: When chicken is cooked, shred in the crock pot using two forks. Let it sit in the crock pot to soak up the liquid. Add the vegetable mixture to the crock pot and mix everything together. Then, add in the agave and greek yogurt. Serve with a sprinkling of cilantro
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: Fat: 13.9g Carb: 9.6g Fiber: 3g Protein: 29g Sugar 4g Sodium: 997mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 6 Points Plus