Red potatoes smashed and grilled until crispy and slightly charred. Served with a smoky chipotle ranch dipping sauce for an out-of-this-world summer side dish!
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 small (1 large) green onion(s)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender enough to insert a paring knife with slight resistance. Lightly grease the bottom of a baking sheet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and let them cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, heat the grill on medium-high heat. Then, make the chipotle ranch dressing. Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, use a potato masher, the bottom of a glass, or your palm to gently smash them, leaving about 1 inch thickness. Drizzle the potatoes with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on the grill and cook about 4 minutes on each side. The potatoes should be slightly charred with grill marks on each side.
- Top the potatoes with chipotle ranch and sprinkle with cilantro and green onion.