This Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Casserole marks the end of summer in my kitchen. Not saying Mother Nature won’t give us a random 90 degree day in the middle of the fall and make me want to grill one last time. But after this recipe, I’m going all out with the fall produce and comfort food recipes, which include plenty of cinnamon and pumpkin.
But first, let’s use up the last of the zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. This dish is another seasonal crossover recipe in that it highlights summer’s produce but it comes to you in casserole form. And casseroles happen to make perfect fall meals because they’re easy to throw together on busy evenings, and they provide comfort as the cold starts to roll in.
This one happens to hit all the wonderful flavor notes too, giving you the essence of summer in a hearty, Italian comfort-food kind of way. The delightful pops of sweet corn and juicy, tangy tomatoes perfectly complement the tender, savory bits of zucchini. To top it off, this casserole has a crunchy, cheesy topping of toasted bread cubes and mozzarella cheese. Add a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil and you’ve got a fresh-tasting summer-meats-fall dish that’s perfect as a veggie side or a vegetarian main meal.
If you’re still looking to use up the last of your zucchini, check out these recipes:
So long summer! In the mood for some pumpkin recipes? Stay tuned for the first installment of a new pumpkin series on the blog!
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 slices of toasted whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped into cubes
- 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn (frozen, canned, or cut off the cob)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt ½ tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Take the pan off the heat.
- Chop the toasted bread into cubes. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the bread cubes to the bowl and stir.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the onion and garlic mixture, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, 2 tablespoons of chopped basil, and 1 cup of the toasted bread cubes. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly until the vegetables and bread cubes are coated in the egg.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Layer the remaining bread cubes over the top of the dish and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle on the cheese and bake for another 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 180 Fat: 7.9g Carb: 19.1g Fiber: 3.6g Protein: 10.5g Sugar 5.1g Sodium: 612mg