I don’t know about you, but I am adoring this butternut squash theme because it’s taking us to such delicious destinations. And today’s recipe is no exception!
But first, let’s reflect on our journey thus far. We’ve learned how to cut and peel a butternut squash (check out the new method!), and we’ve discovered the beauty of summer meeting fall with this gorgeous Roasted Butternut Squash and Strawberry Salad. The next milestone on the journey is an all-time fave in our household: butternut squash soup. I’ve made a few versions of butternut squash soup in the past: one with sage, one with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, one with apples, one with cinnamon…Can you tell I’m obsessed? The amazing thing about butternut squash is that it’s so darn adaptable to basically any flavor profile. For example, if you’ve got a butternut squash sitting on the counter and an intense craving for Thai food, you have the power to make your dreams come true.
Imagine your favorite Thai coconut curry dish chalked full of savory vegetables and chicken.
Now, take that dish and combine it with the slightly sweet and oh-so- tender roasted butternut squash.
Let this amazing concoction simmer in your favorite stock pot so all the flavors blend together.
And with some crunchy fresh garnishes…viola, you’ve got yourself an out-of-this-world soup.
After your first taste of this hearty and vibrantly-spiced soup, you will do a happy dance for a few reasons:
- This soup will fulfill that craving for Thai take out
- One bowl will leave you feeling completely satisfied
- Sweet and savory…need I say more.
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 5 Thai basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (not canned, I used Almond Breeze Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, cut in half
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place halved squash on a baking sheet. Rub 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the squash. Sprinkle with of salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes until fork tender.
- While squash is roasting, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add 4 tablespoons of curry paste to the oil and mix together with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Add the onion, garlic, pepper, and carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Add the chicken and basil to the pan and mix with the vegetables.
- Mix in coconut milk. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When squash is done roasting, let it cool for a few minutes. The squash should be extremely tender and mushy at this point. If it’s not, pop it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Then, scoop out the seeds and remove the peel.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add the peeled squash and the chicken broth. Thoroughly mix together, until you reach a smooth and thick soup-like consistency. Puree with an immersion blender if needed.
- Add the vegetable and chicken mixture. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Test for flavor and consistency. If you desire more curry flavor, add another tablespoon of curry paste. If you desire a thinner consistency, add more chicken broth.
- Add the juice of half a lime. Cover the soup and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of cashews, shredded coconut, cilantro, and an additional squirt of lime juice.
Calories: 280 Fat: 12g Carb: 25.5g Fiber: 7.2g Protein: 18.6g Sugar 8g Sodium: 607mg
More Butternut Squash Recipes and Posts:
Roasted Butternut Squash and Strawberry Salad
How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Plantain Lasagna with Chipotle Cream
Leave a Reply