A crisp and refreshing twist on the traditional caprese salad. This Strawberry Cucumber Caprese Salad combines strawberries, cucumbers, avocado, and farro with all the caprese essentials like fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar. This is a delightful summer salad full of flavor and texture!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (or red onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls (or cubed from a log)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup or more reduced balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze*
- In the bottom of a large salad bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Add in the farro, strawberries, cucumber, avocado, and mozzarella and toss until combined.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the top.
* Did you know that you can easily make a balsamic reduction at home? All you need is a small saucepan and one cup of balsamic vinegar. Bring it to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check the consistency by dipping a spoon in the mixture. If it coats the back of the spoon, the glaze is ready. As the reduction cools, the consistency will become more syrup-like. If you happen to reduce the vinegar too much (guilty!) and it becomes a bit too sticky, simply stir a bit of water into the mixture over low heat.