I can’t believe summer’s almost over and I’ve just decided to grill my first burger! Between my lack of burgers and my chair-less patio this summer, this is a big ol’ “hashtag FAIL.” But, these Southwest Salmon Burgers (with peach salsa!) totally make up for it. One bite of these burgers and you’ll be feeling the summer vibes through and through.
Normally, I’m a straight up turkey or beef burger kinda gal, but I think I’ve eaten enough cheeseburgers in my lifetime to start breaking the pattern. So in a shocking turn of events, I’ve paired salmon with classic Southwest flavors, and packed it into a burger with chopped onion and pepper, quinoa, and a squeeze of lime juice. The result is a zesty, veggie-studded, grilled patty, bursting with fish taco flavor.
These burgers can be cooked in a grill pan on the stove or on a barbecue grill. I took the grill pan route and was very pleased with the results. They cooked up in minutes and developed those beautiful grill marks on the outside. No access to a grill or grill pan? Use a regular pan on the stove!
Now let’s discuss toppings. The Quick and Easy Peach Salsa is EVERYTHING to this burger. The sweet little chunks of peaches, the tangy lime juice, the slighty spicy bits of jalapeno all piled on top of this burger make for a beautiful dish and one hell of a party in your mouth. This Pineapple Cucumber Salsa would also be an amazing addition to these burgers.
But to really amp up the flavor, mix some sour cream with one finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. It’s the perfect kicked up cooling agent to bring the whole dish together.
I served the burgers on a few lettuce leaves, and when ready to eat, I just rolled the burgers, salsa, and sour cream right up into the leaves. You could also use corn or flour tortillas or serve the burgers on a bed of cauliflower rice. This is the ultimate light, yet filling meal to celebrate the last month of summer!
Throughout the month of August, I’m sharing a variety of peach recipes on the blog. Thanks so much to Bob’s Produce Ranch for providing the delicious peaches. Not only does Bob’s Produce stock the best Colorado peaches, but they also pride themselves in providing the freshest produce around. If you live in the Twin Cities, be sure to check out this local gem and see for yourself why this store is considered a year around indoor farmer’s market.
- 1 pound salmon, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped (any color pepper will do)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peach salsa
- ½ cup sour cream mixed with 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced limes
- Place the chopped salmon in a food processor. Pulse a few times until the salmon resembles the consistency of ground meat.
- In a large bowl, combine the salmon and all remaining ingredients except the olive oil. Mix with your hands until combined.
- Form the salmon mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. I used a large grill pan.
- Place 2-4 patties in the pan at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with salsa, chipotle sour cream, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 229 Fat: 12.3g Carb: 6.5g Fiber: 1.8g Protein: 24.6g Sugar 1.4g Sodium: 668mg
More Peach recipes: