If you haven’t guessed from the pics, we’re having dessert for breakfast again. In the spirit of pumpkin season (and because Thanksgiving is next month!), we’re starting the day with a helping of pumpkin pie crammed into cute little Greek yogurt parfaits. And for a finishing crunch, they’re topped with a healthy sprinkling of this Pumpkin Spice Pecan Granola.
The pumpkin pie part of these parfaits is the real deal. Only thing missing is the crust, but hopefully the granola will make up for that. Back to the filling though. While super speedy, I just couldn’t bring myself to empty the pumpkin out of the can, mix with spices and maple syrup, and be done. Ever eaten a spoonful of pumpkin directly from the can before? It kind of tastes like the can. And since I was making these parfaits for a very special baby shower brunch, no way I was going to serve metal-tasting pumpkin. So I took the extra, but totally easy, step of baking the pumpkin as if I was making a pie.
There was nothing fancy or complex about this step. Simply whisk the ingredients together in a bowl, pour in a dish, and bake. And in 30 minutes, you’ll have the most glorious, legit pumpkin pie filling. Once the pumpkin is cooled, layer the pumpkin pie filling and vanilla Greek yogurt into small glasses, sprinkle with granola, and drizzle with maple syrup.
If you’re hosting a brunch or are having guests over and want to serve them a healthy, seasonal morning treat, these Pumpkin Pie Greek Yogurt Parfaits fit the bill. But you can also make these parfaits more of a grab-and-go type of breakfast, especially if you bake the pumpkin ahead of time and keep it in a container in the fridge. Simply skip the layering and top your Greek yogurt with an equal amount of pumpkin pie filling, sprinkle on some granola, and you’re good to go.
Go ahead, have some pumpkin pie for breakfast.
- 1 can (14 oz) pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt (I used Fage brand Greek yogurt)
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Maple syrup
- Extra nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, lemon juice, milk, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. When baking is complete, let the mixture cool for at least 10 minutes.
- To assemble the parfaits, layer ¼ cup of the pumpkin mixture into the bottom of a small glass or jar. Then, layer ¼ cup of the yogurt over the pumpkin mixture. Repeat with another layer each of pumpkin mixture and yogurt.
- Top each parfait with pumpkin spice pecan granola, a drizzle of maple syrup, and extra nuts if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 197 Fat: 2.7g Carb: 34.2g Fiber: 3g Protein: 10.7g Sugar 24.6g Sodium: 368mg