Does lemon-y oatmeal sound weird to you? I wasn’t too sure about the combo either. But I figured, if I can get Carrot Cake Quinoa and Banana Split Energy Balls to taste delicious, why not make a lemon dessert into overnight oats?
I actually meant for these oats to be lemon bar overnight oats because lemon bars are my favorite dessert of all time. But these oats are deliciously creamy and lemon bars are not. So thank goodness there’s a creamy lemon dessert in existence. Otherwise, this recipe would’ve been called Creamy Lemon Oats. Doesn’t exactly have a nice ring to it.
The taste though. I guarantee you these oats will be unlike any kind of overnight oats you’ve ever tasted. But at the same time, the flavor will be so familiar. Imagine the most luscious lemon cream pie or lemon cheesecake. All those sweet, tangy, and fresh flavors are packed into this simple oatmeal-in-a-jar.
The line up of ingredients is quite basic: oats, chia seeds, almond milk, lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract…But, what REALLY brings these oats from good to great is the almond extract. I’m absolutely obsessed with almond extract and convinced that it should be a part of every cookie, cake, pie, oatmeal, and porridge recipe out there. But I digress… Shake up all those ingredients in a mason jar and you’re good to go.
My husband, who loves his morning ultra-muscle-pro-tech-pure-nitro protein shakes and his manly omelets on the weekend, is obsessed with these somewhat dainty-flavored overnight oats. I ended up eating the last serving and found him at the fridgethe other morning with a sad puppy face. sowwy.
These oats are so easy to throw together for a wholesome and filling grab-and-go breakfast so I’ll for sure be making many more batches. Lemon oatmeal for the win. Trust me on this one!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup chopped and toasted nuts (I used chopped almonds)
- Coconut whipped cream
- Lemon zest
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Mix all oats ingredients together in a large mason jar. Put the lid on the jar and give it a good shake! Store the oats in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, give the oats a shake or stir and add more almond milk if needed. Divide oats evenly between 2 bowls. Top each bowl with chopped nuts and lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 276 Fat: 7.5g Carb: 47.9g Fiber: 8.1g Protein: 7.8g Sugar 14.1g Sodium: 140mg