Continuing along on our Clean Eating Adventure, next up is breakfast!
I’m a dinner fan for life, but these Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats get me excited for breakfast.
This morning when my alarm went off (aka my daughter shouting at the top of her lungs, “Mommy, way ahhh youuuu!!”), all I wanted to do was cuddle up under the covers for just one more hour. Who wants to leave the warmth of their bed on a day when it’s below-zero outside? But knowing my daughter was on the other side of the wall, jumping up and down in her crib waiting for me with a huge smile was (and always is) enough to will me out of bed. Plus, this morning I had another incentive to get moving: these creamy, velvety, decadent overnight oats for breakfast!
Ever tried overnight oats? They’re a little different than your standard Quaker oatmeal packet mixed with hot water. For one, overnight oats are served cold. Chia seeds, a super food high in antioxidants, fiber, and protein, are an essential ingredient. The tiny seeds actually expand into little jelly-like balls, acting as a thickener for the oats. And like the name says, the oats are stored overnight in the fridge. During this time, the oats, chia seeds, and add-ins soak in milk. And in the morning, you wake up to a thick, wholesome, and filling breakfast, made even more scrumptious with the addition of fruit, nuts, and sweetener.
My husband is usually the one to throw these together in the evening. It takes all of 5 minutes. We have fun experimenting with different flavor combos, and have found the Chocolate Raspberry creation to be one of the best. Dark chocolate, fresh raspberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a sprinkle of almonds is all you need. Ready to indulge in a decadent treat for breakfast?
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup raspberries
- 2 cups almond milk (I used Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons nuts, chopped (I used almonds)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mason jar. Then, put the lid on the jar and give it a good shake! If you don’t have a mason jar, use a large plastic container.
- Store the oats in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, divide oats evenly between 2 bowls.
- Top with chopped nuts and additional raspberries, if desired.
Serving size: ½ of jar (or 1 bowl)
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 370 Fat: 15.5g Carb: 53.2g Fiber: 15g Protein: 12.7g Sugar 11.8g Sodium: 185mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 8 Points Plus
Interested in more Clean Eating Adventure recipes? Check out these other posts:
- Tuscan White Bean Spinach and Quinoa Stuffed Red Peppers
- Roasted 8 Vegetable Soup
- Zucchini Noodles with Kale Almond Pesto
- Tropical Island Green Smoothie
- Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato, and Lentil Sauté
- Banana Hazelnut Breakfast Quinoa
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread
- Cashew Nacho Cheese
- Loaded Kale Nachos