I’m sure we can all agree that toasted whole wheat bread with a healthy spread of almond butter is pure heaven, especially when paired with a hot cup of coffee in our favorite mug. It’s an easy and filling breakfast and a great way to start the day. But, what if we were to add just a couple more toppings to take this toast to the next level? And by next level, I’m talking about upgrading to dessert-for-breakfast Caramel Apple Toast status.
The Toast Layers
Let’s break down the lovely layers of toppings. Of course, you’ll want to start with an epic toasted slice of your favorite wholesome grainy, seedy bread. (That is, if you’re into all that texture. I’m a huge fan.) Then, onto the:
- Spread of almond Butter. Or any nut or seed butter, really. We’re starting off with the familiar base layer. If you’re looking for a homemade version that will add even more apple flavor to this toast, check out this Apple Cinnamon Almond Butter.
- Thinly sliced apples. Slice up your favorite kind of apple and layer on the slices. Suggestion: Use a tart Granny Smith apple if you want drive home that authentic caramel apple flavor.
- Drizzle of vegan date caramel. Or any type of caramel. But we’re going for wholesome and healthy here, so why not try something new? I first introduced this caramel sauce last year when I made these Caramel Apple Overnight Oats.
- Sprinkle of chopped nuts. Seeds (like pepitas or sunflower seeds) work too! We’re creating even more texture here with a nice crunch at the end.
I offered a piece of this toast to my mom when she stopped over the other day. “Ohhh I’ll just take a bite,” she said. Before she left, the whole piece was gone! She was definitely surprised by how much this toast tasted like an actual caramel apple.
So, first things first. Get that caramel sauce going. The recipe below will give you about twice as much as you’ll need for 4 pieces of toast, but this means you’ll have leftover caramel to add to your oatmeal and yogurt parfait, or to use as a dip for fruit!
This Caramel Apple Toast is wholesome and filling, and, hands-down, a dynamite treat for breakfast!
- 6 large dates, pitted
- ¼ cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- ⅓ cup Apple Cinnamon Almond Butter (or any almond butter)
- 2 apples, sliced thin
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (pecans, pistachios, peanuts)
- Make the caramel sauce. In a food processor or blender, add the dates and process until a thick paste forms. Add the almond butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Process until the mixture becomes smooth and uniform. While the processor is running, stream in the almond milk until the mixture is thick and syrup-like.
- Top the toast: Spread an equal amount of almond butter on each piece of toast. Top with apple slices. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce over the top of each piece of toast. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Leave a Reply