This Cajun Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake is a lightened up and lower carb version of the classic pasta dish!
- 2 medium spaghetti squashes (or 1 large)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Roast the squash: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut each spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Rub ½ tablespoon of olive oil on each half and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Place in the oven, flesh side up, and roast for 30 minutes. Let the squash cool.
- Cook the chicken: While the squash is roasting, toss the chicken breast cubes in 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt (if Cajun seasoning is salt-free) until evenly coated. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a very large sauté pan or skillet (preferably oven safe) over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the chicken and sauté for 7-8 minutes, flipping the pieces once to brown on all sides. It’s best to brown the chicken in 2 batches so you don’t crowd the pan. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Cook the veggies: To the same pan, add the onion and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté the onions for about 2 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the bell peppers, 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened. Then, add in the diced tomatoes and cream cheese. Stir gently until combined. Take the mixture off the heat and set aside.
- Add the spaghetti squash: When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the spaghetti strands out of each half. Add the spaghetti squash and the chicken to the sauté pan and toss to combine. If using an oven safe pan, place the skillet in the oven. Or, transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
- Bake and serve: Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until the edges are slightly crispy. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese before serving.