A cozy and comforting soup with wonderful texture and flavor thanks to the pureed butternut squash, smoky bacon, bold Italian sausage, hearty wild rice, and kale. This is an ideal soup to enjoy on chilly days.
- 1 medium or large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 2 olive oil tablespoons, divided
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 6–8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 5 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound raw Italian turkey sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chopped kale or other greens
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the squash and toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the edges are browned. Set aside to cool.
- While the squash is roasting, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Brown the turkey sausage for a few minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Add in the onion, carrots, and celery, cooking until softened. Stir in the garlic and wild rice. Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer, cooking for 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Once the squash is cool, remove the peel. Chop the squash into large chunks and place in a food processor or blender. Pour in 1-2 cups of chicken broth and blend until smooth.
- Stir the kale and butternut squash puree into the soup. Add in more chicken broth if you’d like a thinner broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley if desired.