My husband and I recently had a really “deep conversation” in which we pondered the question, “If you could eat one food or dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?” My answer: Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salads. His answer: Boneless Buffalo Wings (Someone spent the better part of his college days hitting up B-Dubs!)
Now, these Buffalo Cauliflower Sloppy Joes…boneless buffalo wings they are not. I’m not even going to try to convince you that they taste just like the tangiest, juiciest, most tender Buffalo wing. Because, for one, it’s a sloppy joe. And there’s also the whole cauliflower factor. But, if you are looking for a healthy swap for your standard buffalo wing-flavored fare, these sloppy joes will definitely do the trick.
And get this, my husband actually made this over the weekend so we’d have it ready for Monday Night Football tonight (Go Vikings!). This tells you that the recipe is a quick and easy one! It’ll take about 20 minutes in total to make.
Finely chop the cauliflower, carrots, and celery and cook them on the stove to mimic the texture of ground meat. Add some tomato paste and hot sauce to the mixture, and you’ve got one amped up pan of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and paleo-friendly sloppy joes with a buffalo flavored kick. From there, get out your buns, or lettuce to make some low carb wraps. I’ve also eaten a serving of these joes over rice or quinoa. Get creative with what you have on hand. But, not to be skipped are the buffalo wing fixins’. I’m a ranch girl for life, but bleu cheese fans, drizzle and dip to your hearts’ content.
Here’s to the start of football season and healthy game day eats! Interested in more game day recipes? Check these out:
Mini Artichoke Dip Zucchini Boats
Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Skins
Asian Flavor Guacamole with Sesame Wonton Crisps
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ medium white onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- ½ tablsepoon olive oil
- dash of salt
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (like Frank’s Red Hot brand)
- Hamburger buns or lettuce for wraps
- Blue cheese
- Ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- Chopped scallions
- Chop the head of cauliflower into tiny pieces that resemble the look of ground meat. You could use a food processor for this step
- Finely chop the onion, carrots, and celery. Food process can be used for this step too.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the carrots and celery to the pan. Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to incorporate.
- Add the tomato paste and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, uncovering to stir every couple minutes.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 58 Fat: 1g Carb: 11.1g Fiber: 3.7g Protein: 2.9g Sugar 5.6g Sodium: 177mg
Sina @ Vegan Heaven says
What a great idea, Krista! 🙂 This sounds awesome!
Thanks so much Sina!