Now that the Turkey day feast has come and gone, what are YOU going to do with all those leftovers? We’ve got an epic college football border battle coming up tomorrow (Gophers vs Badgers), and I’ve made the most delicious game day appetizer for it using leftover turkey and mashed potatoes. Look at these beauties.
The inspiration for these Turkey Mashed Potato Taquitos came from the best magazine ever: Food Network magazine! I’m obsessed with anything Food Network-related from the magazine to the product line for Kohl’s to the TV personalities and shows. You should see my DVR; it’s probably 90% Food Network cooking shows. In the Thanksgiving issue of the magazine, a few TV show hosts were asked what they like to make with Thanksgiving leftovers. And “turkey mashed potato taquitos with cranberry salsa” was Guy Fieri’s response. I about died and went to heaven. I love Guy Fieri and his southwest fusion-type dishes so I knew I would be recreating these. There was no accompanying recipe in the magazine so I whipped up my own version.
The turkey and mashed potatoes are combined with tomatoes with green chiles, southwest flavors, and cream cheese. Roll this heavenly mixture up in some corn tortillas and bake them until crispy.
This is the perfect dip-able, game day, finger food. Bust out your favorite salsa (or give this chipotle cranberry apple salsa a try), the sour cream, cilantro, and any other southwestern fixins and get ready for some good eats during the game!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 oz chopped or shredded turkey
- ½ tbs chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¾ cup mashed potatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chiles (I used Rotel brand)
- 3 oz light cream cheese
- 10 corn tortillas
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add turkey, chili powder, and cumin and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes, diced tomatoes and chiles. Then, add the cream cheese. Stir together until combined. Give the mixture a taste and add salt if needed.
- Dampen a few paper towels with water. Wrap the stack of corn tortillas in the paper towels and microwave for 30 seconds. This will ensure your tortillas are pliable and won’t break when rolling them up.
- Place a corn tortilla on a flat surface and drop a ¼ cup of the turkey mixture in the front half of the tortilla. Spread the mixture to each side. Carefully roll up the tortilla into a tight little roll. Place the taquito, seam side down, on a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with a side of chipotle cranberry apple salsa.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 159 Fat: 6.3g Carb: 18.9g Fiber: 2.4g Protein: 7.6g Sugar 1.3g Sodium: 320mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 4 Points Plus