This post has been sponsored by Kemps. All thought and opinions are my own.
Wholesome, easy, on-the-go breakfasts are essential in my house. On most weeknight mornings you’ll find my husband and I scrambling to find hats, gloves, snow pants, and homework folders as we attempt to prepare a healthy breakfast for everyone and get ourselves ready for work. My breakfast solution for these hectic mornings is to whip up a batch of Toasted Coconut, Banana and Chocolate Muesli at the beginning of the week and in the morning, throw a serving into a container with a big splash of Kemps® Probiotic Milk. In minutes, a hearty bowl of sweet and creamy oats is ready to enjoy!
First, let’s break down this oats mix I’m calling muesli. It sounds complicated, but muesli is simply a pre-made mix of oats, seeds, nuts, and dried fruit that can be soaked with Kemps Probiotic milk to create a filling overnight oats-type breakfast. It’s completely customizable based on your favorite oatmeal flavors and toppings. And as you can see, I didn’t hold back in cramming this version with one of my favorite combinations of dessert-like flavors. Toasted coconut flakes, dried banana chips, and finely chopped dark chocolate are the stars, but I also added some ground flax and chia seeds to make the muesli extra hearty.
I usually prepare a big batch and store it in a sealable plastic bag or canister for easy serving throughout the week. You could also portion out the servings in meal prep bowls or containers for easier prep in the morning. Once the dry mix is made, there’s one more step to transforming your oats into a luscious, creamy treat. The milk! Pour a serving of Kemps Probiotic 2% Milk over your oats and in minutes they become an instant overnight oats-style breakfast!
I’ve been using Kemps Probiotic 2% Milk for my muesli breakfasts not only because it tastes like and boasts all the benefits of regular milk with 9 essential nutrients, calcium, protein, Vitamin A and D, but it also contains billions of live cultures in each serving. Probiotics aren’t just for yogurt anymore! You can find all the same cultures that support healthy digestion, including acidophilus and bifidus, in Kemps Probiotic Milk. Additionally, I love that this rich and creamy milk is sourced fresh from local family farms in Rochester, Minnesota. I easily found the 2% variety in the dairy section of my local Super Target. There’s also a fat free variety if that’s more your speed!
I’ve made it a daily habit to swap one serving of milk per day with Kemps Probiotic Milk by pouring a serving into my muesli breakfast. While the “instant” version is the easiest to prepare and my favorite way to enjoy this muesli, here is a breakdown of the three different ways to enjoy it, each giving the oats a slightly different texture:
- Overnight oats: cold oats with a soft texture (3/4 cup muesli, 1 cup Kemps Probiotic Milk, mix in a jar, refrigerate overnight, add extra milk if needed)
- Instant oats: cold oats with a more chewy texture (3/4 cup muesli, 1 cup Kemps Probiotic Milk, let soak for a few minutes and enjoy)
- Warm oats: oatmeal texture (Heat either the overnight or instant version on the stove or in the microwave, add extra milk if needed)
I’m generally a cold oats fan, but lately these single-digit temps in MN have me craving the warm version. There’s also an added bonus to enjoying it this way. The chocolate bits melt into the oats to create an insanely decadent bowl of oatmeal. Melted dark chocolate for breakfast? Yes please! But this is a choose your own adventure situation based on the weather, your family’s flavor preferences, and your favorite way to eat oats. Remember, this muesli can be customized to include the oatmeal add-in’s your family loves! Just be sure you’re stocked with Kemps Probiotic Milk, which let’s be honest, shouldn’t be a problem if you find yourself in the aisles of Super Target multiple times per week like me.
Now it’s your turn to experience all the goodness and healthy digestion benefits of Kemps Probiotic Milk! Pick up a carton on your next Target run and enjoy!
Note: Not all milk consumption should be replaced with the Kemps Probiotic Milk product if you consume several servings per day.
Note: This product is currently only available in Minnesota and Wisconsin
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 cup dried bananas, finely chopped (crunchy baked or freeze-dried varieties work well)
- ½ dark chocolate bar (3.5 ounce size), finely chopped
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Kemps® Probiotic 2% Milk (either 2% or Fat Free Skim)
- Maple syrup or honey
- Fresh banana slices
- Chopped nuts (eg, walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews)
- Extra toasted coconut
- Make the oats mix: In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut flakes, dried bananas, chocolate chunks, flax, chia seeds, and cinnamon.
- Serve with milk: Add a serving of muesli to a jar or bowl. Pour Kemps Probiotic Milk over the muesli and stir. Store overnight in the refrigerator for overnight oats or let it sit for a few minutes so the muesli softens and eat right away. See notes on warm version.