Nothing says holiday gatherings like grazing over a huge spread of appetizers before sitting down to a ham or turkey feast. Am I right? I’m all too familiar with the regret of filling up on appetizers and then feeling too stuffed to eat dinner! So today, I’m sharing a lighter, low carb appetizer you can bring to your next holiday party. With just 4 ingredients and 3 steps, these Sun-Dried Tomato Whipped Feta Stuffed Mini Peppers come together in minutes, and they can be served hot or cold.The whipped feta filling is simply amazing and so easy to make. Combine softened cream cheese and feta in a food processor and blend until smooth. Then, add in some sweet, sun-dried tomatoes and you’ve got yourself one heck of a filling for these mini peppers. Make a double batch and use the extra for a chip or pretzel dip or as a spread on crackers, bagels and sandwiches!
Plus, a major bonus to preparing these appetizers is that, unlike jalapenos, these mini peppers don’t pack any spicy heat. Which means, the de-seeding process only takes a couple minutes. I literally just sliced the peppers in half and tore out the seeds and extra ribs with my fingers. Filling the peppers is a super quick process too. Don’t worry about portioning out the right amount for each pepper or filling the pepper to the max. A little bit goes a long way when feta is involved! Simply use a knife and casually smear a bit in each half.
Once filled, eat them as is, especially if you love the crunch of raw veggies! Alternatively, you can heat them in the oven to soften the peppers and warm the whipped feta. Either way, this is a delightful and festive appetizer that won’t weigh you down!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup rinsed and drained sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 12 mini peppers, de-seeded and sliced in half
- sprinkling of fresh herbs like basil or parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cream cheese and feta cheese in a food processor. Process the mixture until smooth and creamy. Transfer the whipped feta to a bowl. Add in the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and stir to incorporate.
- Stuff about a little over ½ tablespoon of whipped feta into each pepper half. Place the stuffed peppers on a lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 57 Fat: 4g Carb: 3.2g Fiber: 0g Protein: 2.3g Sugar 2.4g Sodium: 123mg