Today’s the final day of our Clean Eating Adventure and we’re going out with a bang! No better way to end 2 weeks of clean eating (and introduce the next destination) than to feast on a ginormous, healthy plate of nachos. Time to get pumped up (and hungry) for the big game this Sunday!
These Loaded Kale Nachos take indulgent, healthy snacking to whole new level. I’ve replaced all the unhealthy ingredients in your traditional nacho platter with wholesome, just-as-yummy alternatives. Let’s break it down:
Greasy tortilla chips. Crispy kale chips!
Fattening taco meat. Finely-chopped, seasoned, and roasted cauliflower!
Salty, processed nacho cheese. Cashew Nacho Cheese!
Watery, jarred salsa. Fresh tomatoes and veggies with a kick of lime juice!
Items #2 and #3 might have you puzzled. For #2, all you need is a head of cauliflower, a food processor, seasoning, and an oven and you’re on your way to making a healthy taco meat alternative. I made these nachos for the Superbowl last year and totally tricked my mom into thinking she was eating seasoned ground beef. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her it was cauliflower. For #3, check out this post for a little background! In short, it’s dairy-free cheesy goodness made from cashews and diced green chiles.
My husband and I sat down to snack on these nachos during the NFC championship game last week and we pretty much polished them off in one sitting…all 6 servings of them. Oops. But I felt no guilt! Aside from the cashew nacho cheese, this appetizer is all veggies!
A word of advice: These nachos are best eaten with a fork. The curly kale chips don’t provide the best surface to maximize the topping potential. To ensure you get a little bit of cauliflower taco meat, veggies, and plenty of cashew nacho cheese in every bite, use a fork to scoop it all up. It’s time to dig into the healthiest and most scrumptious nachos you will ever eat!
- 5 cups of kale broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves and stem removed, roughly chopped into large pieces
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, deveined, and chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup black beans
- ¼ cup cashew nacho cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place kale pieces on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the kale with your hands to coat in oil and seasoning. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy, but still green. Set aside when done.
- While the kale is in the oven, prepare the cauliflower taco meat. Place the cauliflower pieces in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles rice. You may need to do this in 2 or 3 batches. Place the processed cauliflower in a large bowl. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Stir to combine. Spread the cauliflower out on a large, lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Set aside when done.
- Place all additional toppings in a bowl and mix together.
- Spread the kale chips out on a large platter. Top with the cauliflower taco meat, cashew nacho cheese, and additional toppings. Dig in!
Nutrition Information (per serving) from Caloriecount.about.com
Calories: 182.3 Fat: 5.6g Carb: 27.8g Fiber: 7.3g Protein: 8.8g Sugar 4.6g Sodium: 522.7mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 4 Points Plus
Interested in more Clean Eating Adventure recipes? Check these out:
- Tuscan White Bean Spinach and Quinoa Stuffed Red Peppers
- Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Roasted 8 Vegetable Soup
- Zucchini Noodles with Kale Almond Pesto
- Tropical Island Green Smoothie
- Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato, and Lentil Sauté
- Banana Hazelnut Breakfast Quinoa
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread
- Cashew Nacho Cheese