The pizza vibes are still going strong over here! Today’s post brings us to Part 2 of my son’s pizza-themed 5th birthday party. In Part 1, I focused on my massive outdoor pizza-grilling sesh and the resulting grilled pizza buffet. But what about the kids? They were busy putting their own culinary skills to the test, making mini pizzas!
Step 1: Dress the part! In the last post, you may have caught a glimpse of the super chic, handmade tissue paper chef hats set up along the buffet counter. Accompanying those hats were kids-sized aprons I picked up from Joann Fabrics.
Step 2: Make some pizzas! With their culinary attire on and rolling pins in hand, the little iron chefs were ready! Each child received a kids pizza kit containing a small ball of dough, a container of pizza sauce, a small bag of mozzarella cheese, and 5 pieces of turkey pepperoni.
They quickly got to work rolling out the dough and eating all of the pepperoni topping their pizzas with the cheese and pepperoni.
Look at that dexterity!
After the kids took 2 bites of their pizzas and the adults attacked the pizza buffet, it was time for cake…a pizza-themed birthday cake made with only sweet ingredients, to be exact.
Loosely following this recipe, I used a yellow box cake mix for the 2 layers, raspberry jam for the pizza sauce, strawberry fruit roll-ups for the pepperoni, white chocolate shavings for the cheese, chopped fruit snacks for the green pepper, and Raisinets for the olives. Not even joking, this was the easiest birthday cake I’ve ever made.
The cake also turned out to be an awesome centerpiece, which I surrounded with a couple extra Minted pizza party invitations held up by balloon weights, and some Italian bread bags filled with tissue paper. The table decor paired with the adorable Minted Happy Birthday sign in the background were all we needed to play up the pizza theme in a simple, yet charming way.
I can’t thank Minted enough for providing such adorable, quality birthday party items. The invitations and decor helped me plan and host an amazing and memorable 5th birthday party for my son and family.
Disclosure: Minted provided me with a store credit to purchase the invitations, banner, and straws. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own.
- Entire recipe for this flatbread dough (uncooked), divided
- 2 cups pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade), divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 20 pieces turkey pepperoni
- 4 small pizza boxes
- Prepare the dough: Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions.
- Form each portion into a ball and wrap the ball in plastic wrap.
- Prepare the toppings: Place ½ cup portions of the pizza sauce into small plastic containers.
- Portion out ½ cup of the cheese and transfer to small snack-size plastic bags.
- Portion out 5 pieces of pepperoni and wrap the portions in plastic wrap.
- Place the prepped toppings into pizza boxes and refrigerate until the party.
- Make the pizzas: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface.
- Place the rolled out dough on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the oven and top with the sauce, using a spoon to spread it out in an even layer over the crust.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce in an even layer. Place the pepperoni pieces over the cheese.
- Bake the pizzas in the oven for about 7 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Pizza party resources: