For all of the upcoming potlucks, showers, brunches, barbecues and weekend dinners (out on your deck with a glass of wine) in your life, let this Greek Quinoa Salad be your go-to dish. I’ve been making this salad for years because it’s so darn easy and the fresh and tangy ingredients are crazy addicting! Plus, quick and easy dishes are what we crave once the warmer weather finally arrives, right?
I have proof. We hit a totally unexpected 85 degrees on Monday (3 weeks earlier I was driving in a blizzard, btw). While i baked in the sun for an hour watching my son’s baseball practice, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was stand over the stove or turn on the oven to make dinner. So I whipped up this refreshing salad and dinner was on the table in 15 minutes!
So what makes this such an easy salad to prepare? Follow these simple steps:
- Make a big batch of quinoa. I used my Instant Pot!
- Chop some cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and parsley while the quinoa’s cooking.
- Make the homemade dressing. No fancy equipment required!
- Combine the quinoa and veggies along with some zippy feta.
- Add in the dressing, toss, and you’re done!
As far as the base ingredients go, this salad holds a lot of room for customization. I was inspired by the flavors of tabouli and the fixings typically served with gyros so I kept it pretty basic in the veggie and herb department. But the dressing is so versatile that virtually any veggie or herb will work in this salad! Basil, mint, or cilantro would be amazing substitutes! And how about adding in some olives? Were you surprised that they were missing? If there is one food I just can’t eat, it’s olives! But I still appreciate them for what they add to dishes, and I totally encourage adding olives in this salad if you’re a fan!
If you wanted to make this Greek Quinoa Salad into an extra hearty meal, any grilled meat would pair wonderfully with this salad. An idea: make a double batch of the dressing and use it as a marinade for chicken or steak. Then, grill it up, chop it, and toss it into the salad!
If you’re looking for a strictly vegetarian meal idea, stay with me. I have an outstanding vegetarian naan sandwich recipe coming next week that pairs wonderfully with this salad and it uses up leftover quinoa!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1½ cups chopped cucumber
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup curly parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Prep: Add the quinoa, veggies, parsley, and feta to a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: Mince garlic if using a blender or food processor. Place all dressing ingredients in a blender, food processor, or in a glass jar. Blend or shake until combined.
- Assemble salad: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine.