If you’ve waited until the last minute to decide on a Thanksgiving dish to share (just like I would have if not for this blog), this Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, and Parsnip Toss with Wild Rice, Cranberries, and Feta is the perfect option. It’s a vegetable side dish and a salad in one. Serve it warm with fresh-out-of-the-oven veggies or serve it cold after the veggies and rice have soaked up all the wonderful balsamic flavor.
Roasted veggies and this simple balsamic vinaigrette pair amazingly together. Add in wild rice, dried cranberries, feta, and fresh parsley and you’ve got yourself one heck of a Thanksgiving side dish. Not a huge fan of brussels sprouts? Can’t find parsnips? Add in more butternut squash or substitute in a different veggie. This dish can totally be customized according to the vegetable preferences of you and your family. Just make sure you roast the veggies.
I know I’ve raved about this before, but I am absolutely in love with roasted vegetables. Olive oil, salt, and pepper are all you need. Give them a toss, pop them in the oven, and patiently wait as the edges become oh-so-crispy and the veggies slightly soften and caramelize. Oh the flavor!
Here’s to our Thanksgiving week destination! I’m so excited to share my dessert recipe tomorrow and a bunch of recipes for those delicious Thanksgiving leftovers. T minus (less than!) 2 days ‘til turkey day, friends!
- 1 lb of Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash chopped into 1’ cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey
- Dash salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and butternut squash out on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Give the veggies a quick toss with your hands to evenly coat them in the oil and seasoning. Place the veggies in the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, prepare the balsamic vinaigrette.Place all ingredients in a small bowl, mini food processor, or blender. If using a bowl, whisk all ingredients together. If using a food processor or blender, mix on high until the dressing reaches a smooth consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine the roasted veggies, wild rice, cranberries, feta, and parsley. Top with the balsamic vinaigrette and toss everything together until combined.
Calories: 140 Fat: 4.1g Carb: 23.2g Fiber: 4.8g Protein: 5.2g Sugar 4.4g Sodium: 388mg
Weight Watchers Points (calculated on member website)
WW: 4 Points Plus